Friday, April 10, 2009

What Did You Say?

Since Grant's one-year visit to the pediatrician is fast approaching, I have been worrying over his milestones. He has hit every motor milestone WELL before the norm. But, for some reason, I think he has been struggling with his language milestones. Several weeks back, he said 'go' and 'hi' a few times... but then just stopped saying them all together. I would sit with him and say those two silly words hundreds of times, and nothing. So I started telling myself that I was imagining it. Well, what am I supposed to tell the pediatrician when he asks me if Grant has two-three words besides mama and dada? Grant sometimes reminds me that I don't have to be in control of everything. We went to the grocery store on Tuesday. I put Grant in the basket and walked in to the produce section. As we were walking in, Grant says, "apple." I couldn't believe my ears! Every time we go to the store, I give him an apple. So I raced over to the other side of the produce and stopped in front of the apples. He pointed at them and said it three more times! I was so excited AND it was completely unsolicited. Yesterday, we were outside in the front yard. There is a little boy playing basketball across the street. Grant looks up and says, "ball." Again, unsolicited! He just said it on his own. So, now I have been asking him, "Where's your ball?" And he goes and finds it for me. Anyhow, I KNOW that I am not supposed to worry about these things and that Grant will talk, walk, skip, jump, say personal pronouns whenever he is ready. But sometimes I just need a good reminder. So next time you hear me worrying about these things, just give me a sideways look and ignore me.

No comments: