Friday, August 28, 2009

Pouting & Tantrums

Grant has learned a little emotional manipulation here lately. He is generally a very sweet boy, but has taken to using pouting and tantrums as a means to an end. Recently we have started giving juice to Grant on occasion. In the last two days if I hand him water instead, he takes a sip, throws it on the ground, runs to the refrigerator and throws the biggest tantrum you have ever seen! I have read you have to ignore tantrums (a lot easier said than done). Yesterday I ignored his tantrum for at least five minutes, then finally picked him up and told him he wasn't allowed to have any juice.
It is really hard for me to say no to this face, but I am very proud of myself for sticking to my rules. At least when no one else is around! Does anyone else find you give in quicker when there is someone else with you (husband, friend, mom)? There is not strength in numbers for me... I just feel guilty for not giving my child what he wants!

No comments: