Saturday, August 22, 2009

Warning: Here We Come!

Since Gary has been at inservice all week, Grant and I took the opporunity to go see our dear friends, the Ballards. I woke up at 5:00 AM, finished packing the car, ate some breakfast and pulled my sweet son from his crib. My goal in leaving so early was to 1.) miss rush hour traffic and 2.) hope that Grant would sleep during our car ride.
We pulled out of the driveway at 5:40. Not bad! I didn't get 20 minutes down the road before I had to pull over. Grant was just screaming. I found his pacifier and his blanket. I put the car back in drive and we were on our way. Grant stayed awake for about 45 minutes but finally passed out and slept until we got to College Station! We stopped here for breakfast (Grant's first and my second) and to stretch our legs. We only stopped one more time before we got to the Ballards, so it took us about 4 hours. Not bad with a one-year-old!
Elijah and Erica were waiting for us in the driveway. It was so good to see their pretty faces! Grant immediately got excited to see his old buddy and they spent the rest of the morning like this:
Grant and Elijah did such a great job playing together. They kept each other entertained for hours! Erica and I hardly had to do anything! Plus, they slept extrememly well because they wore each other out... bonus! Erica made us dinner both nights (yumm-o). The first night we had lasagna. At first glance it looks like Grant is eating all the yummy food. But if you look closely you'll notice he is hiding it all under his cup! What a stinker! Erica told him he could just tell her he didn't like it. Wednesday morning we woke up and headed straight for a splash park and a playground. Let's just say this experience was better than my last one! We had yummy chicken salad (a fave of mine... only Erica's recipe) and found out that Grant is a sucker for hummus. The park was great... completely shaded and there was even a nice breeze. You can't ask for more! Grant was loving the swings... And the tunnel! "Cheese!"
Grant and Elijah tickling each other on the couch. They had way too much fun!
I joined in!
It was so great to see them! I miss them all already and can't wait until our next visit. It just goes to show you that a little distance only makes a strong friendship grow stronger. Thank you Ballards for all your hospitality!

No comments: