Wednesday, August 12, 2009

No Good, Horrible Day At the Splash Park

Tuesday, Grant and I went to the local splash park (this time with MOMS Club). Apparently, the splash park is closed for maintenance on Tuesdays. But at least there is a playground! Well, Grant heads straight for it. It is a big guy playground, so I climb up behind him and follow him everywhere so he doesn't hurt himself. I'm telling you... I have a 16 month-old going on 5 years. He thinks he can do everything that the big kids can do!

Well, Grant decided to climb UP a slide. I have no other way to get to him quickly, so I climb UP the slide. As I make it to the top, Grant crawls THROUGH a tunnel. So I climb THROUGH a tunnel, but I am not as fast as Grant. At the end of the tunnel there are two large openings (five feet off the ground). Grant looks around and picks one. About this time, I have lost my shoe and I am squishing my other son because I am shimmying on my belly. I reach back to get my shoe, but look up in time to see Grant about to take a step off the edge. It's either my shoe or my child, so I choose my child. I reach up and grab his arm just as he steps off the edge. Well, now I am holding Grant dangling by one arm, I am stuck on my belly and don't have the energy to get either one of us back to the platform. Luckily, another mom sees what is going on and props Grant up for me while I gracefully climb out of the tunnel.

Grant's had enough, right? NOPE! He starts running DOWN a bridge. So I follow, but now I only have one shoe and the playground equipment is scorching HOT! We finally make it back down to the ground level. I'm safe... not so fast. Grant makes a beeline for the other side of the playground. I follow because who knows what he is going to do. I have my head down watching Grant, and SMACK! I run straight into a five-foot tall pull-up bar (I'm 5'3").

By this time, I have a headache and I'm tired. Oh, look! For some reason, they have turned on the water at the splash park! Let's go play! I get Grant over there and he wants nothing to do with the water (weird). But he heads straight for the grassy hills that separate the park from the ROAD. He climbs them with no problem and makes a beeline for the cars (his favorite thing in the world right now), so I climb up the hill, grab him and run back down. We did this maybe a dozen times.

At one point, I stopped and looked around. All the other moms are peacefully sitting on the side of the park in the shade watching their children happily play. When do I get to be that mom? At least for a little while, we are creating our own splash parks at home. Where no one can get in trouble...

1 comment:

Julie said...

This had me rolling... you and your boys just kill me!!