Monday, March 8, 2010

The Boy With the Red Balloon

Every year, Gary shows The Boy With the Red Balloon to his students. It's a French film with almost no dialogue about a boy and his special relationship with a red balloon. He uses the film to demonstrate the importance of setting, tone and other literary elements. In years past, he has purchased a red helium balloon for each student that they then released. Each balloon had a tag on it asking whoever found it to mail the tag back to Gary's school. The students then mapped where each balloon was found. This year, we decided to release red balloons with Grant.
MY boy with the red balloon. "Ok, guys. Let's do this." They are one in the same. Grant is going to be just like his dad when he grows up. It's a little spooky.
Getting ready to release the balloons...
... and they're off!
I just had to add a picture of Grant watching the train coming. We always go to this park just for this reason. He asks daily to go see the 'tracks.' I sometimes wonder if this childhood obsession will turn into a lifelong interest.

4 comments:

The Yurasko Family said...

Grant can always come work with me at the Federal Railroad Administration! He might find the legal work I do boring, but I know he'd love all of the train toys we have around the office :)

Julie said...

Balloon release idea was really cool... but Grant's outfit is way too stinkin' cute! Miss your little guys :)

Erica said...

Nothing bonds a family like illegal activity!

Kami said...

That is really cute and a neat idea! I would be curious to know where they end up!