Saturday, December 24, 2011

Welcome to Grayson's Party!

Grayson's second birthday party was all about having fun at the circus! And first on my long to-do-list was making the cake. Erica and I started baking and decorating Friday afternoon. We were able to to get the two layers baked and covered with white fondant. Next, I was going to make long red stripes all the way across the cake to make it look like a "big top." I spent over 45 minutes trying to make that white fondant turn red. After kneading like a mad woman and after an entire bottle of red food coloring, I realized I needed a plan B (or else have a pink and white striped cake for my second son). So I used the pink/red fondant to make a banner around the bottom layer and then made some blue fondant for the top layer. Gary carefully placed all those pieces on as well as the gum balls, then we called it a night.
The cake! This was supposed to be the back, but I still think it looks pretty good (remember I am not even close to being a cake decorator). The mustache straws!
An attempt at a picture with the birthday boy.
Oh, look, it's a clown! I had a small circus tent in the backyard with a box of dress up clothes. A clown wig, clown nose, etc. We also had a bean bag game and we were supposed to have Pin the Tail on the Donkey, but somehow it flew away! But mostly the kids just loved playing outside. It was a beautiful day!
Grayson had fun opening all his gifts! Grayson and Sadie played with this little Noah's Ark for the longest time. It's still one of his favorites! Thank you to all who came to help celebrate!
Oh, and of course, I had to make him a circus shirt. Isn't he stinkin cute?

No comments: