Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike's Spit-Up

Gary, Grant and I headed toward home today. We had been seeking refuge with my mom and dad, who we a owe a great big thank you! Gary's parents now have electricity, so we wanted to move a bit closer to home. We were both very anxious to see how our house faired during the storm. Driving into town, we saw hundreds of downed power lines and trees. There were a few buildings with structural damage, but I was surprised at how well the buildings held up. We saw two gas stations in town with gas... both had very long lines. They are slowly starting to open up grocery stores, too, and curfews should be lifted after the end of this week. When I saw our house, I was so relieved. Our fence and gates have been knocked over. We are missing some shingles, limbs are littering the front yard, and there is some other minor damage to the house. We have a power line that is leaning across one end of our roof and the house smells like rotten fish. We still do not have electricity, but hopefully it will be up soon. All in all, not too bad. Gary's school district is closed until further notice (at least the rest of this week). However, I did have to come to class today. That is why I am able to blog. We will be bunkered down at Gary's parents for a while. Our cell phones are getting very little service. I am able to receive text messages, but I am having a hard time sending them out. I can at times get calls in and out. I don't want anyone to think I am ignoring you! I'll post later with pictures of our house.

No comments: